A study to evaluate and compare the results of different modalities of operative treatment of distal femoral fracture
Aim: of the study was to evaluate and compare the results of different modalities of operative management of distal femoral fractures.
Material and Method: The present study was conducted on 48 patients having fractures of the distal femur (involving distal 15cm of the femur).The cases were picked up from the patients treated at two tertiary care hospitals by open reduction and internal fixation from July 2014 to July 2018. Both anatomical and functional results were analyzed and graded.
Results: Age of the patients operated upon ranged from 16-75 years (Mean age 41.6years). Male-dominated in our series, comprising 72.91% (35 out of 48 cases). All patients in our series had unilateral involvement of distal femoral fractures. The right side was however involved more i.e. 29 out of 48 (60.4%). The most common mode of the accident in our series was automobile accident (91.67%).42 out of 48 were closed fractures (87.5%), whereas the remaining 6 patients (12.5%) had open grade I type of fracture. Associated injuries were observed in 13 out of 48 cases in our series (27%). In most of the patients, the implant used was either a dynamic condylar screw or a distal femur plate. 41 out of 48 patients (85.42%) were discharged from the hospital within 7 days.
Conclusion: For Distal femoral fractures early open reduction, rigid fixation allows accurate anatomical alignment, reconstruction of articular surfaces joint congruity and it offers opportunities for early post-operative knee mobilization and prevents frequent problems of limitation of knee movements, nonunion and osteoarthritis.
Anderson R, Conservative treatment of fractures of the femur. JBJS 1967;49(7):1371-1375.
Stewart MJ, T David SI, Wallace Jr Sl. Fractures of the distal third of the femur: a comparison of methods of treatment. JBJS. 1966;48(4):784-807.
Connolly JF, Dehne E, Lafollette B. Closed Reduction and Early Cast-Brace Ambulation in the Treatment of Femoral Fractures: Part II: results in one hundred and forty-three fractures. JBJS. 1973;55(8):1581-1599.
Mooney V, Harvey JP. Application of lower extremity orthotics to weight-bearing relief. Division of Research and Demonstration Grants, Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Social and Rehabilitation Service; 1970.
Zickel RE, Fietti JV, Lawsing JF, Cochran GV. A new intramedullary fixation device for the distal third of the femur. Clin Orthopaed Relat Res. 1977;(125):185-191.
Siliski JM, Mahring MA, Hofer HP. Supracondylar-intercondylar fractures of the femur. Treatment by internal fixation. JBJS. 1989;71(1):95-104.
Yang RS, Liu HC, Liu TK. Supracondylar fractures of the femur. J Trauma. 1990;30(3):315-319.
Olerud S. Supracondylar, Intraarticular fractures of femur. Results of operative reconstruction. Acta Ortho Scandinavica. 1971;42(5):435-437.
Schatzker J, Horne G, Waddell J. The Toronto experience with the supracondylar fracture of the femur, 1966–1972. Injury. 1974;6(2):113-128.
Halpenny J, Rorabeck CH. Supracondylar fractures of the femur: Results of treatment of 61 patients. Can J Surg. 1984;27(6):606-609.
Giles JB, DeLee JC, Heckman JD, Keever JE. Supracondylar-intercondylar fractures of the femur treated with a supracondylar plate and lag screw. J Bone Joint Surg. 1982;64(6):864-870.
Cave EF. Fractures of the tibial condyles, involving the knee joint surg Gynacol Obstet. 1948;86(3):289-294.
Chiron HS, Trémoulet J, Casey P, Müller M. Fractures of the distal third of the femur treated by internal fixation. Clin Orthopaed Relat Res (1976-2007). 1974;100:160-170.
Müller ME, Bandi W, Bloch HR, Allgöwer M, Willenegger H, Mumenthaler A, et al. Technique of internal fixation of fractures. Springer Science and Business Media; 2012 Dec 6.
Drennan DB, Locher FG, Maylahn DJ. Fractures of tibial plateau treated by close reduction and spica cast. JBJS(Am). 1979;61(7):989-995.
Yeap EJ, Deepak AS. Distal femoral locking compression plate fixation in distal femoral fractures: early results. Malaysian Orthopaed J. 2007;1(1):12-17.
Handolin L, Pajarinen J, Lindahl J, Hirvensalo E. Retrograde intramedullary nailing in distal femoral fractures—results in a series of 46 consecutive operations. Injury. 2004;35(5):517-522.
Pascarella R, Bettuzzi C, Bosco G, Leonetti D, Dessi S, Forte P, Amendola L. Results in treatment of distal femur fractures using polyaxial locking plate. Strat Traum Limb Reconstruct 2014;9(1):13-18.
Copyright (c) 2020 Author (s). Published by Siddharth Health Research and Social Welfare Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.