Austin moore vs bipolar prosthesis in management of intracapsular fracture of neck of femur by hemiarthroplasty
Introduction: Fracture neck of femur is one of the widely occurring hip fractures among elderly people in India. They greatly affect the quality of life in patients, and 30% mortality is observed in these fractures. This study was carried out to study the profile of fracture neck of femur presenting to a tertiary care teaching hospital. The study also assessed functional outcome differences between Austin Moore and bipolar hip prosthesis used in hemiarthroplasty.
Methods: The present prospective study includes 50 cases of intracapsular fracture neck of femur in elderly patients above the age of 55 years irrespective of sex treated by hemiarthroplasty using unipolar (Austin Moore’s) or bipolar(nonmodular) endoprosthesis followed up for 6 months. After surgery, all the cases were followed up. The functional results after hemiarthroplasty were analyzed using Harris Hip Score (HHS).
Results: The mean age was 63.14±5.66 in AMP, and it was 63.29±4 in bipolar prosthesis. The other baseline parameters were comparable between the groups. The mean Harris hip score was 83.19±10.94 in AMP, and it was 84.62±9.53 in bipolar prosthesis. The difference was statistically not significant (P value 0.654). A higher percentage of patients, about 43% were found to have good functional outcome with bipolar prosthesis than those with Austin Moore prosthesis whose percentage having fair outcome was found to be 19%. However, no significant difference was seen between the groups.
Conclusion: Treatment outcomes were similar between the two groups.
2. Fernandez MA, Griffin XL, Costa ML. Management of hip fracture. Br Med Bull. 2015;115(1):165-172. doi: 10.1093/bmb/ldv036.
3. Amphansap T, Sujarekul P. Quality of life and factors that affect osteoporotic hip fracture patients in Thailand. Osteoporos Sarcopenia. 2018;4(4):140-144. doi: org/10.1016/j.afos.2018.11.082.
4. Mendonça TM, Silva CH, Canto RS, Morales NM, Pinto RM, Morales RR. Evaluation of the health-related quality of life in elderly patients according to the type of hip fracture: femoral neck or trochanteric. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2008;63(5):607-612. doi: 10.1590/S1807-59322008000500007.
5. Prasad JD, Varghese AK, Jamkhandi D, Chakraborty A, Rakesh P, Abraham VJ. Quality-of-life among elderly with untreated fracture of neck of femur: a community based study from Southern India. J Family Med Prim Care. 2013;2(3):270-273. doi: 10.4103/2249-4863.120755.
6. van de Ree CLP, Landers MJF, Kruithof N, de Munter L, Slaets JPJ, Gosens T, et al. Effect of frailty on quality of life in elderly patients after hip fracture: a longitudinal study. BMJ Open. 2019;9(7):e025941. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2018-025941.
7. Marya SK, Thukral R, Singh C. Prosthetic replacement in femoral neck fracture in the elderly: results and review of the literature. Indian J Orthop. 2008;42(1):61-67. doi: 10.4103/0019-5413.38583.
8. Mak YF, Li HYA, Lee QJ, Wong YC. Modular bipolar hemiarthroplasty for fracture neck of femur using contemporary cementing technique: Long-term results of a single design. J Orthop Trauma Rehabil. 2019;26(1):67-73. doi: 10.1177/2210491719848759.
9. Abdelkhalek M, Abdelwahab M, Ali AM. Bipolar versus fixed-head hip arthroplasty for femoral neck fractures in elderly patients. Strategies Trauma Limb Reconstr. 2011;6(1):1-6. doi: 10.1007/s11751-010-0100-1.
10. Jadhav AP, Kulkarni SS, Vaidya SV, Divekar MM, Suralkar SP. Results of Austin Moore replacement. J Postgrad Med. 1996;42(2):33-38.
11. Anderson LD, Hamsa WRJ, Waring TL. Femoral Head Prosthesis: Review of 350 Operations and Their Results. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1964;46:1049-1065.
12. Whittaker R, Abeshaus M, Scholl H, Chung S. Fifteen years' experience with metallic endoprosthetic replacement of the femoral head for femoral neck fractures. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 1972;12(9):799-806. doi: 10.1097/00005373-197209000-00009.
13. Jain NB, Losina E, Ward DM, Harris MB, Katz JN. Trends in surgical management of femoral neck fractures in the United States. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008;466(12):3116-3122. doi: 10.1007/s11999-008-0392-3.
14. IBM Corp. Released 2013. IBM SPSS Statistics for Windows, Version 22.0. Armonk, NY: IBM Corp.
15. Lin KB, Yang NP, Lee YH, Chan CL, Wu CH, Chen HC, et al. The incidence and factors of hip fractures and subsequent morbidity in Taiwan: An 11-year population-based cohort study. PLoS One. 2018;13(2):e0192388. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0192388.
16. Ferrucci L, Baroni M, Ranchelli A, Lauretani F, Maggio M, Mecocci P, et al. Interaction between bone and muscle in older persons with mobility limitations. Curr Pharm Des. 2014;20(19):3178-3197. doi: 10.2174/13816128113196660690.
17. Sullivan KJ, Husak LE, Altebarmakian M, Brox WT. Demographic factors in hip fracture incidence and mortality rates in California, 2000–2011. J Orthop Surg Res. 2016;11(1):4. doi: 10.1186/s13018-015-0332-3.
18. Pillai A, Eranki V, Shenoy R, Hadidi M. Age related incidence and early outcomes of hip fractures: a prospective cohort study of 1177 patients. J Orthop Surg Res. 2011;6(1):5. doi: 10.1186/1749-799X-6-5.
19. Daniel M, Mohammed S, Francis A, William Y, Joseph K, Cornilius E. Early result of hemiarthroplasty in elderly patients with fracture neck of femur. Niger Med J. 2015;56(1):64-68. doi: 10.4103/0300-1652.149174.
20. Kumar KH, Paranjyothi J. Surgical and Functional Outcomes of Hemi Arthroplasty in Fracture Neck of Femur. J Evid Based Med Health Care. 2015;2(7):859-864.
21. Hedbeck CJ, Blomfeldt R, Lapidus G, Törnkvist H, Ponzer S, Tidermark J. Unipolar hemiarthroplasty versus bipolar hemiarthroplasty in the most elderly patients with displaced femoral neck fractures: a randomised, controlled trial. Int Orthop. 2011;35(11):1703-1711. doi: 10.1007/s00264-011-1213-y.
22. Mathew KC, Prashant VS, Sahaya J, R , Vishnu TP, Akhil J. Treatment of Femoral Neck Fractures: Unipolar Versus Bipolar Hemiarthroplasty at Sree Mookambika Institute of Medical Sciences. Int J Contemp Surg. 2016;4(1):150-154. doi: 10.5958/2321-1024.2016.00033.7.
23. Marcus R, Heintz J, Pattee A. Comparison of the Austin-Moore and Bipolar Hemiarthroplasty in the Treatment of Femoral Neck Fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 1989;3(2):173.
24. Somashekar, Krishna SV, Sridhara Murthy J. Treatment of femoral neck fractures: unipolar versus bipolar hemiarthroplasty. Malays Orthop J. 2013;7(2):6-11. doi: 10.5704/MOJ.1307.007.
25. Vishwanath C, Mummigatti SB. Comparative study between Austin Moore prosthesis and bipolar prosthesis in fracture neck of femur. Nat J Clin Orthop. 2017;1(2):53-61.
26. Zacharia B, Inassi J, Subramaniyan D, Pacha S. Unipolar Austin Moore’s Prosthesis Versus Cemented Bipolar Arthroplasty in Displaced Neck of Femur Fracture, in Elderly Patients. J Clin Diagn Res. 2018;12(8).
27. Naser MA, Pathak R, Ahmad A. Superiority of fixed stem bipolar prosthesis over Austin Moore prosthetic in fracture neck femur. Int J Res Orthop. 2018;4(4):577-81. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/issn.2455-4510.IntJResOrthop20182415.
28. Krishna KS, Rao DV, Reddy GR, Sangepu A. Comparative study between austin moore prosthesis and bipolar prosthesis in fracture neck of femur. J Evol Med Dent Sci. 2015;4(101):16605-16610. doi: 10.14260/jemds/2015/2477.